I decided to write this blog as part of my cultural integration process. After 2 ½ years of living in California I realize more and more that cultural integration is not a one way street but requires mutual openness and willingness to dare to think outside one’s own cultural box of concepts of “right” and “wrong”, “normal” and “weird” without judging and/or ridiculing what is foreign to one’s common ways of doing life. With this blog I hope to make a contribution to the improvement of this mutual understanding and invite my family and friends both American and German to be part of this process. Please note that this blog does NOT intend to reinforce any stereotypes or make unsophisticated generalizations but only portrays the personal experience of a German girl born in the heart of Swabia and her story of immigrating to a Californian metropolis of the extra large kind namely Los Angeles (4 million). Whenever I will post general articles with general opinions I will mark the content that relates to MY personally experienced challenges, struggles, discoveries and revelations. As I am writing part of this in retrospective there is no particular order to the postings. Feel free to share comments on YOUR experience with keeping in mind that the purpose of this blog is to foster UNDERSTANDING and not to OFFEND anybody! Due to the nature of the subject offense of some kind will probably occur at some point so I apologize before hand and encourage everybody to be a constructive part of this. As a good friend of mine who lives in a inter-cultural marriage as well always says: “Remember, it’s just different.”

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Stereotypes or Stories: A suggested Approach

Transatlantic Letters from William Parks
Comments on German and American Culture and Society
#18 The Acid Test

In discussing culture, people sometimes get worked up about the use of "profiles" or "characteristics" in describing a people. For example, a high need for security is presented as a "German cultural characteristic," or a tendency to take quick action as an "American cultural characteristic." This then leads to a discussion of variance within a population and the dangers of stereotyping. Not all Germans wear green felt hats with feathers, not all Americans ride horses and shoot guns, and so on.

The misconception here is that we are somehow trying to distill a set of essential qualities that a group of people has, much as a chemist determines the properties of a compound. As if we were searching for the essence of, say, "German-ness."

I would like to suggest an alternative view. If I say, as in the last Letter, that Germans often have a greater need for orderliness, then that is not so much a "characteristic" that I have discovered, but more a characterization that I am telling you. Not an essence, but a story.

We are story-tellers by nature. We do not simply observe and relate what we observe, but we interpret, evaluate, analyze, explain, generalize, simplify, and so on - just as an author does in writing a story based on his or her experiences with people. These stories can then be helpful for the rest of us in dealing with life's challenges, or not.

Thus, in reading such cultural "profiles," "characteristics," "parameters," or "Transatlantic Letters," remember that, at best, expert opinion is opinion, and will only be of value to you when you test it. Here's the acid test: your own communication with such culturally-different people. So go out and test, and good luck to you in the great laboratory of life.

(http://www.howtogermany.com/transatlantic/transatlantic-18.php)

No comments:

Post a Comment