I decided to write this blog as part of my cultural integration process. After 2 ½ years of living in California I realize more and more that cultural integration is not a one way street but requires mutual openness and willingness to dare to think outside one’s own cultural box of concepts of “right” and “wrong”, “normal” and “weird” without judging and/or ridiculing what is foreign to one’s common ways of doing life. With this blog I hope to make a contribution to the improvement of this mutual understanding and invite my family and friends both American and German to be part of this process. Please note that this blog does NOT intend to reinforce any stereotypes or make unsophisticated generalizations but only portrays the personal experience of a German girl born in the heart of Swabia and her story of immigrating to a Californian metropolis of the extra large kind namely Los Angeles (4 million). Whenever I will post general articles with general opinions I will mark the content that relates to MY personally experienced challenges, struggles, discoveries and revelations. As I am writing part of this in retrospective there is no particular order to the postings. Feel free to share comments on YOUR experience with keeping in mind that the purpose of this blog is to foster UNDERSTANDING and not to OFFEND anybody! Due to the nature of the subject offense of some kind will probably occur at some point so I apologize before hand and encourage everybody to be a constructive part of this. As a good friend of mine who lives in a inter-cultural marriage as well always says: “Remember, it’s just different.”

Monday, March 9, 2009

Cultural Code "Honesty": Polite or Rude?

I'm sure we've all had experiences like that. If you are American you've probably come across a "rude" German. And if you are German you've probably wondered if all those nice things an American says about you are just a polite technical term or actually meant seriously.

It often seems to me that following the cultural manual that has been installed in me for over 25 years on how to interact in social contexts does not result in the expected outcome on this side of the Atlantic. It feels more like trying to figure out your DVD player by reading the manual for your printer.

I can recall many situations in which I have tried to translate to the best of my knowledge what would have been the perfectly appropriate German approach to this specific situation and apparently in American context it was considered inappropriate or even rude. Often times when I felt I knew people well enough to just be myself I learned afterward that I scared people off by being too opinionated, too passionate, too negative and too direct.

The following articles offers some insight on how the American social manual translates to the German social manual and vice-versa and hopefully it will reveal some underlying motivations and intentions of social behaviors to help mutual understanding.


Max Keller, who is German, writes in his blog "The minefield of intercultural communication" about this topic:
One of those stereotypical features of German behavior is a certain amount of directness. Germans usually mean what they say. An invitation for coffee entails the act of arranging a possible date to drink coffee. In other words: the polite American who says: “Hey, why don’t you come over some time?” will be surprised to find that the German really wants to visit him. The same principle applies when the American is taken aback by the German who just says goodbye without an invitation - the German and the American both never intended to invite the other after their first meeting, but the German makes it clear.
http://kellermax.wordpress.com/2008/01/22/the-minefield-of-intercultural-communication/

An article in "Der Spiegel online"from May 18 in2006 gives an American perspective:
Brutally Honest: "Have You Gained Weight?"

Don't beat around the bush in Germany. If someone asks a question, answer it honestly and expect the same in return. "Yes I have put on a few pounds," is the correct answer.

You've been invited over to a friend's house, and his grandmother serves you a cake she has labored over for hours.

Granny: I had to go all over town to get the ingredients. It's my own grandmother's fruitcake recipe, but you can't get pickled figs and horseradish syrup at the shops anymore!

You have three responses to choose from:

a) Oh, thank you so much. It looks lovely.

b) Oh, thank you, but I'm dieting. I can't eat cake.

c) I don't like fruitcake at all and figs make me swell up and break into a hideous, oozing rash.

If you picked a, you are probably English or American. And even if you can't stand fruitcake, you'll shovel it in to make granny happy. Many well-mannered (or quick-thinking) Americans may also have chosen b.

The third answer, though, is reserved exclusively for Germans. How, after all, can honesty be rude? Why on earth would you lie, say the Germans? You don't like fruitcake, why pretend that you do? And those figs could kill you!

In England or the US, of course, answer ccould very well result in a rolling pin upside the head. In Germany, however, it's merely a standard form that human interaction takes. You say what you have to say and that's that. You meet up with a German friend you haven't seen for awhile and chances are he might ask, "Have you gained weight?" It's not meant as an insult, merely a polite inquiry.

The bottom line is that the rules of human interaction are different in Germany. Here are a few of them:

Personal invitations of all kinds are to be taken at face value. "We're having a party, please do come," means "We're having a party, please do come," and not "We feel rude not inviting you in front of these other people, but surely you'll have the grace not to show up." Similarly, "Come over to my house and we'll have tea," means that you should start planning a date and time for that pleasant event. It is not to be confused with the Anglo-American "We should get together sometime," which means "I hope I never see you again."

Yes means yes and no means no. If you ask whether you can share someone's table (or borrow a pen, or get a ride) and that person says yes, that's the end of it. Even if the person does not smile or tell you to go right ahead, you do not have to ask again. Germans will be perplexed when you insist: "Are you sure? I won't be bothering you, will I? I'll just take this little corner and be done in a minute." For heavens sakes, they said yes already, and it's not like you're asking them to donate a kidney. Just sit down.

Preferences are expressed directly. If someone offers you tickets to the opera "Siegfried," don't put them off vaguely: "If only it lasted just a tiny bit less than six hours, I'd love to go, but my schedule is jam-packed." If you don't like Wagner, or opera, just say so. Germans will not be offended that you have an opinion that differs from theirs. But . . .

You may have to talk about it. There are consequences for all this directness, and this is one. You may be asked why you don't want to come to someone's party or why you don't like Wagner, and then you must explain. You may even have to have a discussion about it, or possible a debate. But perhaps you can do that over tea. Would you like to come over some time?

Contributed by Maria Snyder, now living in Chicago, USA.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,416920,00.html

I'm not sure -notice the Americanism here : ) - if I agree completely with the fruitcake example. Most Germans I know including myself would still at least try a small piece. And in American culture no one gets insulted if you don't eat up, right! : )

I remember I was surprised when my hubby and I were invited somewhere and a day before people would always double check "If we were still on". To me that was almost insulting, I mean we had a date, it was in my calendar and unless some act of God would intervene we were going. Did they assume we were that flaky? But I was ensured that that's just the way they do it here, especially in LA.

The following German article - which I will translate here roughly - talks about wht Anglo-Saxons don't say what they mean. As it is considered rude to say "no" the message is delivered in an encrypted way of saying "no" without directly saying it. In Anglo-Saxon culture it is more important to not hurt others feelings than saying the truth. So you better know the code.

Here a view translation examples:
How are you? - means: Hi - Just say "great"
Just come over some time. - Does not mean to actually stop by
I wonder if this is really the best solution? - not an actual question, it means no
I'm wondering if we need more time? - means no
Wouldn't blue fit your eyes better? - means you look like a scarecrow in this dress
We might want to review some parts of the project - means " no", it doesn't mean you are asked for your opinion
It was different - It was horrible, weird

This is where the term little white lie and polite lie comes from. It's a socially accepted and even requested lie. For example a polite Anglo-Saxon would never say that he doesn't like a gift.
So what does he say when he actually really likes a gift?? Well, basically he will completely freak out. "Honey, look, what they gave me, that's what I've always wanted as a kid, no, even before I was born I wanted exactly this, wait until I show our neighbors, thank you soooooo much, I will remember this day for the rest of my life and my grandchildren will be talking about it, I will write this on my grave stone." So if for you as a German the situation slowly gets a little embarrassing and you start asking yourself if he is trying to make fun of you, the gift was just right.

Happy Anglo-Saxons can be quite exhausting for Germans. But the problem gets more serious the other way round. I you as an American give a German a gift you will always be disappointed because Germans never freak out about those kind of things. For an Anglo-Saxon the code for a normal German "Thank you" is a sign that you didn't like the gift. Many Us boys come home from a date completely devastated because they thought the German girl didn't like their gift and they don't understand what they did wrong. Well, nothing, she loved it, but she is German. That's how they are, no reason not to marry her.

But what do Anglo-Saxons really think about Germany? We might never find out. At least if they are well-mannered. They will always say that they absolutely love it and that everything is great and awesome. The way kids are raised is" If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." Especially when you travel abroad. To criticize your host is basically as impolite as you can get.

For Germans that is frustrating. If somebody spent some time in a country they assume that naturally there must be also things one didn't like. It is considered as being honest to share those things in a differentiated opinion as a sign of a cultivated critical spirit. A person who simply sees everything as super and great is considered simple, naive, and shallow - the latter one being one of the top stereotypes German hold against Americans. From a US perspective this might be a compliment in a way.

Most Germans know about such a cultural code in countries like Japan. But for some reason they don't expect it with Anglo-Saxons. So why on earth is this not taught in English classes! But instead thousands of German exchange students are sent to London, New York or Ottawa completely unprepared to answer the question at the end of their stay: "So how did you like your stay?"It's left to the reader to imagine this cultural disaster.

So if a German spends a lot of time with Anglo-Saxons and realizes for the first time that this code exists he often starts to panic and starts to question every comment: Does he really mean that or does he just say that to be polite? And how am I supposed to act? Where can I buy this code book?!

Well, you got to live with the fact that you will never know certain things. I good guest will always make you feel that you changed his whole life. If you are a guest save the critique for your journal and concentrate on one specific thing that you can honestly praise, or at least as honestly as possible.

We learned that a lot of things seem to be exaggerated to Germans. A good measure to find out if somebody really means it is to count three times (unless the American has lived in Germany long enough). If the Anglo Saxon says three times "Please come visit us again!" and you (the German) already start to get a bit irritated it's pretty safe to say they mean it. Don't come over if it's only said once!

Finally: nobody expects perfect social behavior from a foreigner in any country. Most Americans know that Germans are, well, more direct. So there is a little grace unless you don't like to work with stereotypes.

If you know the rules or at least know they exist you can break them strategically. Just use this for an introduction: "I'm German so I'm sorry if this seems like a direct question..." Once your reputation is ruined...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warum Amerikaner (Briten, Kanadier) nicht sagen, was sie meinen

September 18, 2006

Hey, how are you? fragt der Amerikaner und ist dann überrascht, wenn der Deutsche erzählt, sein Frettchen sei gerade überfahren worden. Just come on over sometime! sagt der Brite und ist entsetzt, wenn der Deutsche irgendwann wirklich vor der Tür steht. Angelsachsen meinen nicht immer, was sie sagen, Deutsche dagegen meist schon. Kommen die beiden Kulturen zusammen, gibt es ganz andere Probleme als nur den Händedruck.

Denn Amerikaner, Briten, Kanadier und die anderen aus diesem Kulturkreis sprechen in gewissen Situationen verschlüsselt. Das gebietet die Höflichkeit. Es gilt zum Beispiel als krude, direkt no zu sagen und daher wird etwas anderes gesagt, das jeder andere Angelsachse als ein “Nein” versteht, aber nicht “Nein” heißt.

Auf die Frage an die beste Freundin, wie einem ein Kleid steht, wird eine Deutsche vielleicht das Gesicht verziehen und “Du, nicht wirklich” sagen oder “Ich weiß nicht, ob es dir so gut steht”, eine Amerikanerin aber eher etwas wie “Würde blau nicht besser zu deinen Augen passen?”. Für eine Amerikanerin heißt das, du siehst aus wie eine magersüchtige Vogelscheuche mit einem Heroin-Problem, während eine Deutsche das Gefühl hat, man redet aneinander vorbei. Augen? Was faselt die von meinen Augen? Ich will wissen, ob mein Arsch fett aussieht!

Andere Beispiele: Bei einer Diskussion mit Amerikanern heißt I wonder if this is really the best solution übersetzt “nein”. I’m wondering if we might need more time heißt “nein” und We might want to review some parts of the project heißt “nein”. Amerikaner sind verwirrt (oder schlicht sauer), wenn Deutsche nach solchen Sätzen kurz überlegen und sagen, nee, so ist’s gut, und dann einfach weitermachen. Aus der Sicht des Amerikaners war die Aussage klar und deutlich.

Die Regel gilt auch für den Alltag. Ein höflicher Kanadier wird nicht sagen, dass ihm ein Geschenk nicht gefällt, denn das würde sich nicht gehören und könnte die Gefühle des anderen verletzten. Und das ist - um zum zentralen Punkt der Geschichte zu kommen - im Zweifelsfall wichtiger als die reine Wahrheit. Deswegen sagt man es - wenn überhaupt - verschlüsselt, und weil der andere den Code kennt, versteht er es und alles bleibt höflich. Nicht umsonst gibt es im Englischen die Begriffe little white lie und polite lie, die beide wesentlich schwächer sind als eine “Notlüge”: Es handelt sich um eine gesellschaftlich akzeptierte, mehr noch, eine gesellschaftlich vorgeschriebene Flunkerei.

Das wirft die Frage auf, wie Briten & Co. reagieren, wenn ihnen wirklich ein Geschenk gefällt. Kurz gesagt, sie flippen völlig aus. Das wollte ich schon immer haben, Liebling, schau her, was sie mir gebracht haben, schon als Kind, nein, bereits vor der Geburt wollte ich genau das haben, warte, bis es die Nachbarn sehen, vielen, vielen, vielen dank, diesen Tag werde ich mein ganzes Leben lang nicht vergessen und meine Enkelkinder werden noch davon sprechen, ich lasse es mir auf meinen Grabstein meißeln. Wenn einem als Deutscher die ganze Situation peinlich wird und man sich langsam fragt, ob man verarscht wird, ist es genau richtig.

So anstrengend glückliche Angelsachsen für Deutsche sein können: Umgekehrt ist das Problem ernster. Ein Amerikaner, der einem Deutschen ein Geschenk macht, ist eigentlich immer enttäuscht, denn Deutsche flippen bei so etwas nie aus. In dem Codebuch eines Angelsachsen ist das normale deutsche Dankeschön aber ein Zeichen dafür, dass man das Geschenk nicht mag. Dieser Autor hat über die Jahre schon einige betrübte Landsleute trösten müssen, die mit der Klage She didn’t like my present! What did I do wrong? I don’t understand! völlig geknickt von einem Date zurückgekommen sind. Nein, sie hat es geliebt, aber sie ist eine Deutsche. Die sind halt so. Heirate sie trotzdem.

Jetzt kommt der Teil, der einigen interessierten Lesern nicht unbedingt gefallen dürfte: Die gerade beschriebenen Prinzipien gelten ganz besonders für das Verhalten von Angelsachsen im Ausland, also in unserem speziellen Fall für das von Amerikanern in Deutschland. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything, schärft man den Kiddies ein und so halten sie im Urlaub oder beim Austauschprogramm den Mund: Kritik am Gastgeber ist so ziemlich der Gipfel der Unhöflichkeit.

Und deswegen ist es so gut wie unmöglich aus Amerikanern oder Briten oder wem auch immer herauszubekommen, wie es ihnen in Deutschland wirklich gefällt. Wenn sie gut erzogen sind, werden sie immer sagen, dass es toll ist. Einfach super. Total spitze. Alles andere wäre ein Zeichen einer katastrophalen Kinderstube, nur knapp weniger schlimm als das Schnäuzen mit dem Tischtuch oder die ausgedehnte Ohrreinigung mit dem Eßstäbchen.

Für Deutsche ist das frustrierend. Wenn jemand einige Zeit in einem Land verbracht hat, gehen sie davon aus, dass es Dinge gibt, die einem nicht gefallen haben - natürlich. Es gilt als “ehrlich”, diese anzusprechen und eine “differenzierte” Meinung als ein Zeichen eines kultivierten, kritischen Geistes. Wer alles toll, super und spitze findet, gilt als dumm, leichtgläubig, oberflächlich - letzteres ist nicht umsonst eines der häufigsten deutschen Vorurteile über Amerikaner. Aus US-Sicht ist das in gewisser Weise ein Kompliment.

Zwar ist das Prinzip solcher kulturellen Codes den meisten Deutschen von Ländern wie Japan bekannt, wo offenbar “nein” nur deswegen im Wörterbuch steht, weil die Sprachpolizei es verlangt. Bei den Briten oder Amerikanern erwarten sie es aber komischerweise nicht. Es wird auch nicht im Englischunterricht vermittelt, was diesem Autor ein völliges Rätsel ist: Es bleibt dem Leser als Übung überlassen sich vorzustellen, wie das normale Verhalten von deutschen Austauschschülern in London, New York oder Ottawa wirkt. How did you like your stay? heißt es dann am Ende, und jedes Jahr laufen dann tausende nichts ahnende deutsche Kinder ins kulturelle Messer.

Wird Deutschen mit viel Kontakt zu Angelsachsen zum ersten Mal klar, dass es einen Code gibt, bricht schon mal Panik aus. Jeder Satz, jede Äußerung wird hinterfragt: Meint er das oder sagt er es nur, weil er höflich ist? Und wie verhalte ich mich denn? Ich will auch das Codebuch!

Man muss zuerst damit leben lernen, dass man einige Dinge nicht erfahren wird. Ein guter Gast wird bei einem immer das Gefühl geben, dass man sein Leben verändert hat. Wer es sich nicht darauf beruhen lassen kann oder will, muss mitdenken, sich in den anderen hineinversetzen und sich auf seine Empathie verlassen. Wer selbst Gast ist, spart sich bitte seine Kritik für sein Tagebuch auf und konzentriert sich auf einen möglichst konkreten Punkt, der dann ehrlich gelobt wird, oder zumindest so ehrlich wie möglich. It was different heißt übrigens übersetzt “es war schrecklich”. So einfach kommt man nicht davon.

Eine weitere Faustregel ist das oben beschriebene Prinzip, dass viele Dinge auf Deutsche übersteigert wirken (Vorsicht aber bei Amerikanern, die lange genug in Deutschland leben und wissen, welche Reaktion angebracht ist). Hilfreich ist auch die “Dreierregel”: Wenn ein Angelsachse drei Mal etwas sagt (Please come visit us again!) und man schon leicht genervt ist, dann gilt es mit ziemlicher Sicherheit. Einmal ist dagegen kein Mal.

Am Ende sollte man sich aber auch vor Augen halten: In keinem Land erwartet man von einem Ausländer ein völlig “korrektes” Sozialverhalten. Die meisten Amerikaner wissen, dass Deutsche, sagen wir mal, direkter sind. Einen gewissen Spielraum hat man also schon, so lange man nichts dagegen hat, Stereotypen zu bedienen.

Wer die Regeln kennt, oder wenigstens von ihnen weiß, kann sie dann auch gezielt brechen. Die Schönste Germanin benutzt hin und wieder die Einleitung I’m German, so I’m sorry if this seems like a direct question, die jedem Angelsachsen in Hörweite und insbesondere diesem Autor das Blut gefrieren lässt. Ist der Ruf erst ruiniert …
http://usaerklaert.wordpress.com/2006/09/18/warum-amerikaner-briten-kanadier-nicht-sagen-was-sie-meinen/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The standard question I get here is " So how do you like it here"? Not my favorite question.although it's a natural thing to ask. I just don't like it because every time I don't manage to jump in the air and clap for excitement I feel guilty because I know how people will probably interpret it and my hubby will be disappointed. Maybe I should follow the suggestions I got to take some acting classes.

The example with gifts is so true. In the beginning people asked me 10 times if I really liked it and I just confirmed that I had said yes and was sort of surprised they were doubting my first answer.

Well, as I said, this is the hardest one so if anybody finds that code book, I wanna read it! Until then I'm just waiting for you contributions to explain the social code!

3 comments:

  1. Katja, I thought this post was so insightful. As someone who is sort of in-between cultures (as a 1.3 generation Chinese-American) who grew up largely with an Asian community and then married a white guy and got immersed into a largely white world, these are some of the things I've seen in my new community, and as a struggle within myself.

    It's not that I don't value honesty. Of course I do. It's just that I'm also extremely sensitive, and sometimes, honesty hurts. And Americans tend to be sensitive, about things that might seem offensive, culturally or politically. At the same time, we don't like "fake" people or those who don't mean what they say, or do what they say they'll do. Because of all of the second guessing and double-entendres I've come across, I've made adjustments in the way I interact with people. In one sense, I value those who are authentic and genuine and I try to seek them out for real relationships. In another sense, I know this is how my world is and I need to follow suit if I don't want to end up offending someone or being thought of as uncaring. Like, I'm constantly inviting friends to come visit because they don't seem to take one offer seriously. It almost seems hypocritical, to desire authenticity yet sensitivity, but it's the challenge, isn't it? How to be "real" without hurting others; how not to compromise authenticity even if it means offending someone a little bit; putting the hard work into reconciling and working through some of the harder truths.

    That said, I have come to really appreciate those who are able to speak truth delicately because they want to cushion the hurt. Also, it seems that so much of it (these codes and the interpretations of such) still comes down to the individual-- who you are, who the person you're relating to is. If I had said some of those examples that you listed up there (I wonder if this is the best solution, I wonder if we need more time), I would have meant them differently than how you translated it. (Perhaps it's my Chinese-ness?) And, if I ask a person who I see as a friend how she is, I really want more of an answer than "great." But, if I'm at Starbucks, and customers are coming in, I HAVE TO ask how they're doing, and I hope to God they just say "great."

    Ok that's it from me for now. Thanks for starting this blog. It's all really fascinating. And hey, come and visit us again. ;-) Any time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment up there was from Shirley! I don't know why it didn't publish my whole name. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.I think you are right, the challenge is to be real and sensitive at the same time. The problem with that is that unfortunately often times you only learn about what's considered offensive after you offended some one. That leads to another helpful quality in intercultural relations: always give the benefit of a doubt before reacting offended.
    What I find challenging lately is to figure out how to answer the "How are you" question with people who don't clearly fit either the "good friend" or "stranger" category. Sometimes I tell some one how I'm doing and wonder afterwards if that was rude. And sometimes I give the quick answer I then wonder if I offended the person by being so cold. That feels like the Eskimo who knows 100 different kinds of "snow" and to me it all simply looks white.
    In Germany it's polite to greet people when you pass them or enter a room. It's enough to simply say "Good morning", "Hello", "Good Day", or even just nod your head. Here I realized that when walking into a doctor's waiting room for example nobody ever says anything. Confusing.

    ReplyDelete