I decided to write this blog as part of my cultural integration process. After 2 ½ years of living in California I realize more and more that cultural integration is not a one way street but requires mutual openness and willingness to dare to think outside one’s own cultural box of concepts of “right” and “wrong”, “normal” and “weird” without judging and/or ridiculing what is foreign to one’s common ways of doing life. With this blog I hope to make a contribution to the improvement of this mutual understanding and invite my family and friends both American and German to be part of this process. Please note that this blog does NOT intend to reinforce any stereotypes or make unsophisticated generalizations but only portrays the personal experience of a German girl born in the heart of Swabia and her story of immigrating to a Californian metropolis of the extra large kind namely Los Angeles (4 million). Whenever I will post general articles with general opinions I will mark the content that relates to MY personally experienced challenges, struggles, discoveries and revelations. As I am writing part of this in retrospective there is no particular order to the postings. Feel free to share comments on YOUR experience with keeping in mind that the purpose of this blog is to foster UNDERSTANDING and not to OFFEND anybody! Due to the nature of the subject offense of some kind will probably occur at some point so I apologize before hand and encourage everybody to be a constructive part of this. As a good friend of mine who lives in a inter-cultural marriage as well always says: “Remember, it’s just different.”
Monday, January 24, 2011
Top "idiotic" jobs in LA
1. "Blow-Cleaner":
Can somebody explain to me the point of blowing dust in the air to "clean"? Use a broom or water so I don't have to sweep my patio after your "work" is done. My sinuses would be happier, too.
2.Parking-Structure-Ticket-Service:
So since some parking structures finally have the machines where you pay before you get in your car so you don't create traffic (and fumes) on the way out, they still have an assistant on the way out. Not to pay, but to help you stick the already paid for ticket into the slot. Really? Is the economy so desperate to create jobs?
3. Shopping-Chart-Collector:
Seriously, people can't put their shopping chart back themselves? Grow up! Well, again, that's a way to create jobs.
Can somebody explain to me the point of blowing dust in the air to "clean"? Use a broom or water so I don't have to sweep my patio after your "work" is done. My sinuses would be happier, too.
2.Parking-Structure-Ticket-Service:
So since some parking structures finally have the machines where you pay before you get in your car so you don't create traffic (and fumes) on the way out, they still have an assistant on the way out. Not to pay, but to help you stick the already paid for ticket into the slot. Really? Is the economy so desperate to create jobs?
3. Shopping-Chart-Collector:
Seriously, people can't put their shopping chart back themselves? Grow up! Well, again, that's a way to create jobs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment